Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Corset is Completed!

My 1860's corset is finally completed! After researching several surviving corsets from the era I decided to cut down on the number of bones the pattern called for, as I didn't see any that seemed to have that many boning channels. The finished corset has 16 bones and a front busk closure. It laces up the back with 30 metal grommets and is hand flossed with silk embroidery floss. The color is not as blue as I wanted, the color was listed as "light periwinkle," but is much closer to purple than blue as you can see in the picture below.


The embroidery at front busk is based on an 1880's corset, and I also found an 1820's corset with similar scroll work. I am wearing it over my 1860's chemise, which is now complete with buttons! The waist measurement in this photo is 23 inches, a reduction of about 2.5 inches. Unfortunately the back closure met at the top and was only about an inch apart at the waist. I really wanted a waist measurement of 22 inches while still having a 2 inch gap or so in the back lacing so I ended up taking it in at the waist and bust after the photos were taken. The miss fit was the product of not having anyone to help me try on the corset properly, (as my husband has no idea how such things work) and I just can't seem to tighten it enough by myself. And I may have been rushing a bit to get it done... proof that it pays to do it right the first time. Though it probably only took me an hour or so to fix, as I luckily only had to take out two seams and re-floss two bones. 


I was a little worried about how it would feel sitting down, but it turned out to be very comfortable to sit in! So much easier to keep from slouching ;) Below is a close up of some of the flossing. 


So, January's and February's Sew Monthly Challenges are finished! I also have finished March's challenge, but I will post it in a second blog. 

The Challenge:  Colour Challenge Blue
Fabric:  White cotton twill with Light Periwinkle Silk Embroidery
Pattern:  Simplicity 9769, with adjustments
Year:  1860's
Notions:  Metal grommets, spring steel, cotton thread
How historically accurate is it?:  Other than the machine sewing I think it is pretty accurate. I decreased the amount of boning to match a surviving corset from the era. I haven't seen that particular color of floss, but I did see shades of blue, which is what I had wanted the floss to be. So, maybe 70% due to the machine sewing? 
Hours to complete:  I am always so bad at keeping track of this... maybe, 10 hours? I'm always sewing for a few minutes here and there at nap times so it's hard to keep track of. 
First worn:  For the pictures on May 2nd. 
Total cost:  $14 for twill and thread, the busk, grommets, and steel I already had in my stash. 





No comments:

Post a Comment