Friday, May 29, 2015

May Sew Monthly Challenge

I am finally able to sit down and blog about my Sew Monthly Challenge for May! The challenge was "Practicality," so I made a pinner apron to wear with my Civil War ensemble. It was finished at least a week ago, but I just haven't had time to take pictures and blog. Here is the finished piece.



The last photo is a close up of the hand stitching on the pocket. This is entirely hand sewn, my first completely hand stitched piece! I am very excited about that! Now on to the challenge particulars.

The Challenge:  Practicality
Fabric:  100% cotton from my stash
Pattern:   My own
Year:  1860's
Notions:  cotton thread, cotton muslin for interfacing at waistband
How historically accurate is it?  Since I managed to completely hand sew this one, I would say it is 100% accurate (or as close as it gets in this day and age). 
Hours to complete:  about 4 hours
First worn:  as of now, only by my dress form!
Total cost: $0 
I have also been working on a petticoat to go over the corded petticoat. This one is also completely hand stitched! I guess doing the apron made me want to challenge myself. It has two tucks at the hem, and has stroked gathers at the waistband. 

A close up of the Stroked Gathers...

Now all I have to do is starch and iron them! And make the day dress to go over them of course! Since I am using a commercial pattern I am currently working on a muslin mock up of the bodice so I can work out any kinks. I plan to try on the entire under clothes ensemble as soon as I can get someone to help me with the corset! I still can't seem to get it laced tightly enough on my own. I think my husband may have to learn a bit about it this weekend, ha ha! My deadline for the dress is the middle of June, so you should be hearing about it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment