Thursday, May 7, 2015

March's Sew Monthly Challenge: Stashbusting

As I wrote earlier, I had planned on making an 1860's day dress for this challenge, but lack of time to make all the appropriate under things has put that on hold. I have finished my corset, chemise, and drawers, and have a corded petticoat that I should be able to pull in at the waist to fit my measurements (perhaps a entry for April's challenge: War and Peace?), but still need at least two more petticoats for a period correct look. So, instead I finished an ensemble for my daughter. It consists of a pair of drawers, underskirt, and dress. The dress was made using cotton material also given to me by my husband's grandmother and is based on a surviving dress from the 1860's. The first photo is of the original dress, and below my beautiful daughter modeling my recreation.


I just realized that I had her try the dress on before I had finished hemming the sleeves, which is why one looks longer than the other in the photo. They are both hemmed now. The back closes with four shell buttons and hand sewn button holes. And below, a picture of the underskirt and drawers. 


While the dress I drafted myself, the drawers and underskirt were made from Butterick 5901, with major tailoring, since historical commercial patterns always end up much larger than the measurements state on the pattern jacket. I added two extra tucks to the drawers and made the tucks on the underskirt deeper, which gave it some body almost like a corded petticoat. So, for the Dreamstress's March Sew Monthly Challenge, a child's civil war era dress. 

The Challenge:  Stashbusting
Fabric:  Cotton fabric
Pattern:  My own draft
Year:  1860's
Notions:  Cotton Thread, antique shell buttons
How historically accurate is it?:  This one is pretty close. The sleeves, hem and decorative tuck are all hand sewn, as were the button holes at back closure. I'd give this one about 80% as the bodice was machine sewn. 
Hours to complete:  8-12? again, I should be better about keeping track!
First worn:  for pictures on May 1st
Total cost:  $0 

No comments:

Post a Comment